Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Allergic to running?!

No, I don't think I'm allergic to running, but I do think I'm allergic to something on my route when I run in my neighborhood. I like to run around the perimeter of my neighborhood then down the middle because it's 2.5 miles, so it's great for my 30 minute runs during the week. Jen and I ran on Saturday morning, and I was sneezing up a storm when we got back to my house. I chalked it up to a cat encounter we had while we were out. She was in pain when we finished so we were just hanging out letting her rest for a bit when a cat wandered up to us that Jen could have sworn was her old cat, Flanders. I'm allergic to cats and figured my sneezing fits were from the cat hanging around us while we chatted with his owner (turns out it wasn't her cat). I thought it was odd because cats don't really bother me like they used to and I didn't have much contact with the Flanders wannabe.

Jen decided to take this week off from running, so I headed out for my 30 minute run while my husband put the kids to bed last night. I was really looking forward to running...so it was extra disappointing that my run totally failed. About halfway through it my stomach HURT. not like a stitch in my side, like my whole stomach and abdomen HURT. I had to walk for probably six minutes and even then I forced myself to finish running. As I was finishing out the last few minutes of my run, my left eye felt really hot and itchy. When I got home I saw that it was red...not bloodshot or anything like that, RED. Yikes. I was sneezing again and wheezy and pretty miserable all around. My genius husband (not saying that sarcastically) deduced that I must be allergic to something I'm encountering on my run. I felt better after a lot of water, some Sudafed and Benadryl and laying on the couch watching Glee.

So I guess I need to find a new route or try taking an antihistamine before I go. Or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment