Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And so it begins

Yesterday marked the official start of training for the Disneyland Half Marathon. The Run Disney website has links on it for training programs, but the one for this particular race hadn't been posted/updated, so we made our own. I used one of the other training programs and changed up the dates on it to fit for our race. We ended up pushing it back a week, too, because it had us doing full runs leading up to the race, and it's best to rest the week before.

So Tuesday and Thursday we run 30 minutes. Then on the weekend we do a longer run. The length of the long run varies by week. Basically it's a short distance, then a long distance, short, long, etc. Last night we did a 30 minute run, and it was pretty easy. We ran around Jen's neighborhood and did about 2.5 miles. Our first mile time was around 11:00 minutes, which is pretty good for me as I usually run around a 12:00 minute mile. Honestly the first mile was pretty sucky because I kept telling myself how much I hate running. The second mile was easier, thankfully. I tried to focus on just being out of the house, having a break from my kiddos, running with my friend, and being able to be out running on a beautiful night. It wasn't bad. I bought new running shoes on Sunday, which really helped. I think I would have been miserable in my old shoes. I also tried out my new running hat, which I really liked and worked great.

If you're curious, I uploaded our training schedule to Google Docs:

Claire and Jen's Disneyland Half Marathon Training Schedule

The actual Word doc looks a lot nicer because it has Mickey Mouse clip art on it, but that didn't seem to transfer well to Google Docs. So just imagine a Mickey head silhouette in each of the top corners. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment