Friday, January 21, 2011

It's getting better all the time

Conveniently I had that Beatles song stuck in my head, and it worked for a blog post title!

This morning at the gym I completed Week 3, Day 2 of the Couch to 5K running program. Week 3 consists of a five minute warm-up walk, 90 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, 3 minutes running, 3 minutes walking (two cycles of all of that), then a five minute cool-down walk. On Wednesday when I did Day 1 of this routine, I thought for sure I was going to die on the last running segment. Okay, maybe not quite that severe, but it was tough and I was really panting. My heart rate got above 170 which hadn't happened I don't think since Week 1. I don't like it getting that high because it crosses over my anaerobic threshold, which means my body is burning sugar instead of fat. Not cool. I was kind of nervous about today's running segments in case the same thing would happen. But it was actually pretty easy!! When I was on the last three minute running segment, I didn't even realize it was a three minute one, nor did I realize it was the last running segment. I thought that was pretty awesome! I'm going to do Day 3 on Sunday with Jen. She hurt her knee running her half marathon last weekend, so she figures taking it easy and doing a combo of running and walking will be good for her. I haven't looked ahead yet to see what Week 4 consists of, but as it's a nine week program, I have to assume the walking portions are going to be getting shorter and fewer and far between. That's fine, though. I'm finding it pretty easy to adjust, and I'm so glad I've stuck with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment