Monday, May 25, 2009

Holiday Weekend

So, maybe right before a holiday weekend wasn't the best time to start my attempt at weight loss. That was poor planning on my part, although I have tried to be good. Friday we went shopping with my mom and aunt, and I chose healthy at the restaurant where we had lunch, even though I was so tempted to get something either cheese-laden or with a cream sauce (or both!). John and I were going to have dinner after Will went to bed on Friday night, and Will had grilled cheese for dinner. John asked if I'd want to split one with him as a pre-dinner snack, and I said no. I was pretty pleased with myself for that.

Saturday we went to my mom's to celebrate Miles' six month birthday, and I completely over-indulged in everything--snacks before dinner, food at dinner, cake. Although the cake itself was pretty healthy (I used applesauce instead of oil and Egg Beaters instead of eggs), the cream cheese chocolate frosting I made to go on the cake was not. It sure was tasty though! I ended up forgetting what was left of the cake at my mom's, so at least I couldn't snack on that.

Sunday I was proud of myself at church because I really wanted to finish Will's donut when he didn't eat all of it, but I refrained. Normally I can take or leave donuts (except the ones with chocolate icing and filled with custard...I love those!), but I got in the habit of eating one at church (okay, sometimes I'd have two...) when I was pregnant with Miles, so now it's hard for me to resist. I had half a wheat bagel when we got there with a little light cream cheese on it and that was it. That was a big step for me! And then last night John and I ended up eating almost an entire blackberry cobbler I had made. Sigh. It was so darn tasty!! Actually I don't think it was too unhealthy, but we definitely ate more than we needed to.

Now tonight we're going to a BBQ at a friend's house. I think they're serving actual barbecue, not like burgers and hot dogs. That will be a little easier for me to resist because I'm pretty lukewarm about barbecue. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's not really something I indulge in, if that makes sense. Like I know I won't go overboard eating it. Now the side dishes and desserts--that will be more difficult for me. I'm making tres leches cake to take, which I love. Potlucks are a serious downfall of mine.

Two benefits of this weekend have been I found some really good motivation for starting to lose weight. We were shopping on Friday for a dress for my aunt for my cousin's wedding in August. Let me tell you--looking at all the cute clothes out right now and knowing I wouldn't fit into any of them if I tried them on was a pretty good motivator. As was taking a good hard look at myself in my swim suit yesterday before hanging out in our little inflatable pool with Will. Yikes. Now with that vivid, ugly image burned into my brain I think I should be able to have some willpower (blackberry cobbler last night aside) and dedication in getting this done.

Tomorrow when I get up I'm putting on exercise clothes, and when Will's done with his breakfast he can watch his shows in the toy room and I'll do an exercise video in the family room. There are a ton on OnDemand from our cable, and I have the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred video that I actually really enjoy. I've also planned out breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the upcoming week. I always plan dinners, but I'm bad about figuring out things for breakfast and lunch. I figure if it's written down it will be a lot easier to stick to and follow than just wandering around my kitchen trying to find something.

After I get done updating blogs I'm going to work on cleaning/organizing/rearranging our office. We're trying to find a treadmill we like, and this is where we're going to put it. I want to get the room ready so when we find one we like it's all set to go and we can start using it right away. John's been running at the gym, and I've wanted to start for a long time, but I don't want to buy a jogging stroller to take the kids with me (plus it's getting too hot to do that).

No comments:

Post a Comment